This is one of our family's favorite recipes! I always double the recipe and it disappears every time. It's perfect for busy nights because it comes together really quickly.
Ingredients
1 quart chicken stock
1 stalk lemon grass, white part-cracked open with flat side of knife or a meat mallet
3 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or dried, hand torn
1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
2 small Thai chilies, halved lengthwise
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (13-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 (8-oz) can straw mushrooms, rinsed
4 limes, juiced
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
Directions
Bring the stock to a boil over medium heat in a stock pot. Add the lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger, chilies, and garlic. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and gently simmer for 10 minutes to let the spices infuse the broth.
Uncover and stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, mushrooms, lime juice, and chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes to heat the chicken through; season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with cilantro.
Notes
*I know in the resturants they serve this with the lime leaves, lemon grass and ginger still in the broth...but I usually fish those out before serving, cause seriously, who is going to eat those?
*I love having just the spice infused broth with a little splash of coconut milk for lunch. I think it's perfect.
1 comment:
I'm wanting to try this, but where do you find the lime leaves?? I'm not sure I could find those here....and how much do they influence the flavor?
Post a Comment